Monday, July 11, 2011

Fuschias






The first fuschia, Fuchsia triphylla, was discovered on the Caribbean island of Hispaniola in 1703 by the French Minim monk and botanist, Charles Plumier. He named the new genus after the renowned German botanist Leonhart Fuchs (1501-1566).

There are over 100 types of fuschias, and during late Spring and early Summer, you can find baskets of fuschias at most garden stores. There are also varieties of fuschias that are used for borders, and make beautiful color statements in any garden.


This year I have five fuschia baskets, and it is a labor of love to take care of them. They need some sun and a lot of shade, and need to be watered almost daily in hot weather and sprayed with a fine mist of water to prevent the leaves from burning and turning brown.


They are worth every minute of care they are given, and in perfect conditions, they can double in size by the end of the summer season.


I've found compatible locations all over the yard for the fuschias this year, and this fuschia in the picture resides in my front yard shade garden, hanging from a branch of my Asian Pear tree. You can see my garden angel peeking out from the English ivy on the garden bench below the basket. The white picket fence that I built creates a great backdrop for my ivy, roses and hostas.

No comments:

Post a Comment